Oh, Snap (Peas)!
Today, the Dogs Love Kale brand has grown to include over a dozen healthy treats for the discriminating dog owner and their beloved pooch. It all started when founders Paula Savarese and Dawn Ward set out to create a healthy, all-natural, gluten and grain-free treat their dogs could enjoy (after creating a popular and healthy cupcake for humans). After the initial Dogs Love Kale product took off (with kale as the main ingredient) they began experimenting with other healthy, guilt-free ingredients and tasty combinations for new K9 snacks.
One of those ingredients was a legume called the snap pea. Also known as sugar snap peas, they are a cross between:
- Snow peas and
- Garden peas.
MEET THE HUMBLE SNAP PEA
The edible and highly nutritious rounded pod offers crunchy texture and sweet flavor and can be eaten raw or cooked. (Not to be confused with edamame which are soy beans in a pod.)
Snap peas offer an excellent source of:
- Protein (plant-based)
- Fiber (including insoluble, soluble and resistant starch)
- Antioxidants, vitamins and minerals including:
- Potassium and Magnesium
- Vitamins A, C, D, E and K
- Carotenoids (antioxidants)
Keep reading to learn more about the all-natural and healthy benefits derived from the humble snap pea!
SNAP PEAS FOR YOUR DOG? ABSOLUTELY!
The snap pea is a nutritious, gluten-free, super antioxidant (and low-calorie) vegetable offering incredible health benefits to the canines in our lives. They are usually the easiest for dogs to digest as well. Snap peas offer a variety of natural, disease-preventing benefits; including:
- Vitamin K: Supports heart/cardiovascular and bone health; supports cancer and diabetes prevention
- Vitamin A: Supports skin/coat and eye health
- Vitamin C: Supports immune and joint health
- Helps decrease arthritic symptoms (with their anti-inflammatory properties)
- Rich in naturally-occurring carotenoids (antioxidants) that help protect cells from free radicals (harmful and destructive by-products from cell metabolism)
- Rich in natural fiber which supports good digestive health and helps prevent constipation
- Rich in natural plant phytonutrients (also called phytochemicals) which help eliminate carcinogenic substances (potential toxic, cancer-producing agents)
- Other phytonutrients (found only in green peas) may help reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes
Also, the snap pea is perfect for sensitive K9 tummies and health problems like pancreatitis and diabetes. (Always check with your veterinarian first.)
DOGS REALLY DO LOVE SNAPEAS
The Dogs Love Snapeas treats are crispy baked snacks combined with either:
- Cheese (Himalayan yak cheese); or
All our treats are guilt-free with no grain, gluten or added sugar. They contain kale as the main ingredient along with a limited number of other 100% all-natural, USA ingredients to keep canine stomachs happy and full without an excess of empty calories that can lead to debilitating weight gain and health issues.
The Dogs Love Snapeas Treats
Subscribe to our blog to receive our bi-monthly blog posts. Next time we’ll introduce you to our brand-new Dogs Love Hummus Chews!
Want MORE great K9 content?
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter also and receive a valuable offer each month only for our newsletter subscribers!